Boomaroo Nurseries is a specialist seedling producer supplying seedlings to vegetable growers in New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland and Victoria. With strong plans for growth, we are looking to appoint a Plant Health Specialist to join our Vegetable Seedling team based at our Victorian Lara Nursery.
Reporting directly to the Head Grower this role provides invaluable daily scouting, data collection and reporting to the site that is essential to improving our growing practices. You will be able to identify trends and issues on plant health including pest and disease, nutrition and quality of plant material and help make improvements. This role will also be responsible to maintain water quality.
Working alongside a team of passionate growers you will have autonomy in your role and be able to utilise and apply your learned skills in best-practice plant growing and cultivation techniques.
You will be required to:
- Scout the nursery to monitor plant growth and nursery hygiene to optimise plant health
- Design programs for water, fertilizer, pest and disease control
- Water testing, treatment and quality management
- Participate in scheduling and planning
- Provide written reports on the plant status
- Be flexible with early starts, late finishes, weekend and occasional public holiday work.
- Knowledge of the horticulture industry would be an advantage
- Chemical User’s Certificate (or be willing to obtain)
- Understanding of species-specific insect, disease, and cultural tending practices
- Ability to perform strenuous manual labour and work in all weather conditions and seasons
- Bachelors of Science, Horticulture or Agronomy
- 3+ years of experience with plant production
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Computer skills with experience in Microsoft programs
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain effective relationships
- Good decision making and problem-solving skills
- Controlled environment experience
- The ability to trouble shoot plant health problems; plant knowledge/pest identification
- Greenhouse automation equipment operation and trouble shooting
- Experience using enterprise IT programs and databases
This is a great opportunity for you to make a difference in an organization with a clear commitment to manufacturing and delivering outstanding products while experiencing strong growth, whilst ensuring the continued development of your own skills and experience.
To apply for this role, email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close Friday 18 January 2019.